| ORImenashe This week the Hollywood Bowl welcomes Robyn, the Swedish pop star, and the electronic Norwegian duo of Röyksopp, exotic fare for Southern California music lovers. In downtown L.A.’s burgeoning Arts District, another duo performs nightly at Bestia, one of the toughest reservations in town. Savory dishes with bold, honest flavors are executed by chef Ori Menashe, while equally memorable desserts are prepared by wife/pastry chef Genevieve Gergis. Here the couple offers a few easy-to-prepare recipes.“Listening to music gives me a great boost of adrenaline. It helps me prepare and push through long 16-18 hour shifts.” —Ori Menashe “Pastry, just like music, has mathematical parameters that once you master there is so much creative freedom. As a former French hornist, graduating from USC Thornton School of Music, I am blessed to have experienced both professions.” —Genevieve Gergis For more information visit: bestiala.com
[+click here] for our weekend entertainment guide
| PRESENTS THIS WEEK'S RECIPES:
FARRO SALAD (Chef Ori) Serves 4 INGREDIENTS
- 2 cups farro
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 1 zucchini (diced)
- 1 squash (diced)
- 1 carrot (diced)
- 1/4 onion (diced)
- 30 leaves of mint, lightly torn
- Boil some water.
- Add farro and cook until tender/soft.
- Add bay leaf, and sea salt to taste.
- Strain, then let cool.
- Dice zucchini, squash, carrot, and onion to the size of the farro.
- Mix oil with red wine vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly with the farro.
- Add the mint.
- Add shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano to top off the dish.
TUNA SANDWICHES (Chef Ori) Serves 4 INGREDIENTS
- 8 slices marble rye bread
- 2 cans of tuna (a premium brand, like Genova)
- 20 small gherkins (chopped)
- 5 tablespoons dill (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons red onion (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons English mustard
- 3 heaping tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 12 slices of tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Strain tuna oil out of can.
- Add gherkins, dill, red onion, mustard, mayo, and a touch of salt and pepper.
- Mix all ingredients.
- Set aside 2 butter lettuce leaves for each sandwich.
- Set aside 3 slices of tomatoes for each sandwich.
- Layer ingredients: bread, lettuce, tuna, tomatoes, salt, pepper, and bread.
| CHEF’S NOTE: These sandwiches are simple and easy, but they never fail to satisfy. If you like a little heat, consider adding some pickled, chopped pepperoncini peppers.
AMARETTI COOKIES (Chef Genevieve) Serves 4 INGREDIENTS
- 2-1/3 cups (262 grams) almond flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg whites from large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons Grand Marnier
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sliced almonds
- Dusting of powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Stir salt into egg whites, extract and Grand Marnier, then add sugar and almond flour.
- Make small tablespoon-sized balls, then roll them into almond slices.
- Complete the shaping of cookies into balls, squares, or pyramids and set on parchment to bake until lightly golden (about 10 minutes).
- When completely cool, dust lightly with powdered sugar.
| CHEF’S NOTE: At the Hollywood Bowl, these cookies are best paired with a Thermos of hot coffee!
HAVE YOU BOUGHT YOUR TICKETS TO THE BOWL? DON'T MISS: The 25th Annual MARIACHI USA® Festival (Lease Event) Saturday, June 28 at 6:00pm Mariachi Cobre, Mariachi Nuevo Tecalitlan, Mariachi Los Reyes, Mariachi Reyna de Los Angeles, Mariachi Mi Tierra Querida, Junko Seki and Folklorico Mi Tierra. [for tickets] Robyn + Röyksopp Sunday, June 29 at 7:00pm Get ready for a massive, outdoor dance party with Robyn & Röyksopp for their Do It Again Tour 2014. The Norwegian electronic duo and Swedish pop champion have a long history of working and performing together, with wildly fun results. Svein and Torbjørn from Röyksopp predict “one helluva ride!” Jason Bentley, host. [for tickets]